Friday 21 June 2013

A Summer Solstice Fanfare Please !

Almost 2 years after adopting Nina, guess what !

Yes !

ALL the leaky windows have now been replaced ! :)

I'm so chuffed right now. There were times, a few times actually, that I really didnt think this day would come. These windows have been a major headache for Ninas conversion. They needed doing before I could get on with the interior, as rivers of water appeared each time it rained, especially from the back side windows. I think I have been through every emotion over them these past two years. They have cost an absolute fortune, I reckon around £900 for all 6 windows, fitted and tinted. Thats a huge amount to pay in a conversion. Do I think it was worth it ? Without a doubt. If I was only converting to sell on, then no I would probably have just resealed everything with lots of silicone until the water stopped coming in.

In hindsight, and hindsight is always a good thing, it was absolutely the right thing to replace them, as the rubber seals holding the glass in, were retaining water, and in turn, as we saw with the drivers side back window, the metal was well on the way to rusting out.

I still have the job of masking all the windows and tidying up the metal aperatures that they sit in with spray, but other than that they are FINALLY done :).

And this is how it happened !


The music in the slideshow is called 'Better Now' by the brilliant Kludo White from his Camper Van Radio CD, used by kind permission. I thought 'Better Now' was appropriate as Nina is definately Better Now her windows are done ! :P Please visit www.campervanradio.com and buy a copy for yourself, ideal for those Summer Road Trips (once Summer arrives :S), the profits go to Teenage Cancer Trust.

As you can see from the video, things went fairly smoothly, no nasty surprises ! :).

Even Dave from Five Valleys Windscreens has asked for pictures once Nina is finished :).

Last Sunday, Nina was a show vehicle, as we went to the Home Counties Boxer Welfare Fun Day in St Albans. Her new hoist was used for the first time to lift the Marquee in and out, and worked faultlessly ! Did I say that I got the remote working ?

Jon from Bedford Street Motors changed the oil and filter and topped up the fluids last Thursday, I also asked him to take a look at the infamous knocking 'twang' from the front. It turns out this is a common fault with Renault Masters. The suspension springs are inboard, and are literally held in by the vehicle weight. The Springs are seated top and bottom without any kind of cushion, and its the spring moving slightly in its seat that makes the twanging noise. No mods are available, you have to put up with it or DIY a cushion for the spring. So for now I will have to put up with the noise.

I fitted the flush handles I bought from the Frampton Car Boot Sale, to the bed box, they work really well.





So much easier to pull the bed box out now :).

On Tuesday my carpet lining arrived ! Its just the colour I wanted, a Sandy/Beige, I bought 10 meters, but may need a little more, Nina is a big girl and I also want to cover the seat boxes and maybe the underside of the overhead locker.


This is the carpet, it a actually looks more of a richer colour in the photo, its a little lighter in reality. It comes in either smooth or ribbed, I went for the smooth as it will be easier to match in if I need to patch anywhere without having to line anything up. Just need to buy a heap of carpet adhesive spray now !

I also bought a fridge, a Campingaz 36L Deluxe. I saw the Classic version recently in our local camping shop, Attwoolls, for £94.99....


And very nearly bought it, its the right size, works exactly how I want it to, runs from 12v or Mains, and actually keeps food warm as well as chilled ! After seeing it I had a look on ebay and found the Deluxe version, which basically comes with two extra shelves and a door pocket. It also had the optional mains adaptor worth £17.99, was unused and boxed, and won it for my initial bid of £50 plus £10 postage. Still waiting for it to arrive. It was a bit of a bargain :).

Finally, after fitting the roof fan, I needed to fit a switch fir it. I decided that the switch needed to be just inside the side door on the bulkhead, so it can be used as a fan when sitting on the seating or bed. If you remember a while back, I made a switch control box that had light switches and a couple of 12v sockets. Well to incorporate the fan switch I had to pop to Maplin and pick up a larger box, which I spent the last hour or so last night drilling and cutting holes in to for all the switches, it has space now if I need to add another switch or two as well, and is looking quite impressive :).


That's the old box on the left, the new on the right with the fan three way switch in the middle. That switch can be pushed up or down to draw air in or expel it. It has space either side for a new switch if needed :). My stepper hole drill bits and Dremel Tool came in very useful producing some very neat holes for it all.

That's it for now, I think the solar panel might be going on this weekend, and maybe the Electric Hook Up inlet, so check back soon for more fitting pics :).

Location:Gloucester

2 comments:

  1. Yay! For finished windows, now the fun bits can really start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Kass ! It sure can ! I'm looking forward to this bit, its when everything seems to pull together in a short space of time :). Exciting times ahead ! X

      Delete