Tuesday 18 October 2011

Spare Wheel Solution

If you remember, the spare wheel I picked up from Trowbridge didn't fit Nina, so this was a fairly important thing to remedy before I got stranded somewhere !

I found a seller, yes on eBay :), 'vanservicesltd' based in Bristol, a commercial breakers, and he had a 16" wheel with the correct tyre size already on with plenty of tread on for a spare.

Although not cheap, I remember when you could go to a scrapyard and get a wheel with a decent tyre for around £8-10 ! He was cheap up to everyone else though, and his eBay photo made the wheel look worse than it actually was, although I didn't know this until I received it. I paid £30 plus £12 delivery. I could have gone and got it but would have spent the postage on fuel anyway.


The sellers eBay photo ....

Once ordered, I wondered what I was going to do with it, as in when Nina had her air suspension, they took away the spare wheel cage underneath. The answer is obvious really, where do you see the spare on most motorhomes etc ? Hung on the back door. So I found a bracket for the door, eBay seller 'wheelcoverbargains', for just shy of £38 delivered, they also had a website that sold the wheel covers too as their name suggests, which I got for £32 delivered for a semi rigid one. Seems a lot of money to house a spare tyre, but couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else, actually the bracket is really hard to get hold of full stop.
So when they came, I put them on our garden table and took a purposely bad photo to see if people would guess what it was, I think they were playing with me a little, satellite dish was mentioned, and leftover parts from Darth Vader ! :P


The Facebook picture ...

Well when it all came, the next thing was to fit it all ! So as we were out all day Sunday at a Boxer Welfare meeting in St Albans, I decided to set Saturday aside to do the job.

First job, decide where to put it :S ....


Well, this looked about as good a place as any, the drivers side rear door, as it didn't have the number plate on it, I was a little worried about the handle, but could see it would be workable. The next thing was to start destroying it...




So after lots of measuring and marking, you can see my pencil lines here still, I started drilling - eeeeek ! It's a scary feeling, drilling big holes out of a perfectly good door, And you are never quite sure you got it in the right place until you actually fit everything up to it.




The bolts were a little difficult to fit in, as inside the door there are various strengtheners that were getting in the way, but I managed it and tightened it all up, this is the resulting bracket fitted.

And now the finished result, wheel on and cover in place. Shes starting to look like a camper ! :). It sits nice and firmly, doesn't vibrate, dnt even know it's there when driving, so a good job done and another problem sorted :).















- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Gloucester

No comments:

Post a Comment